When purchasing a new puppy or traveling long distance with a large dog, it may be necessary to ship your pet as cargo. While not all major airlines provide this service, American, Continental, Delta and United each offer cargo transport services for dogs, as long as airline safety requirements are met.
- 1 What airlines are currently shipping pets?
- 2 Which airline is best to ship pets?
- 3 How much do airlines charge to ship pets?
- 4 Can you send a dog on a plane by itself?
- 5 Does FedEx fly dogs?
- 6 Are airlines still shipping pets?
- 7 Does Southwest fly dogs as cargo?
- 8 What airlines fly big dogs?
- 9 How do you ship a pet on a plane?
- 10 How do you ship a puppy to another state?
- 11 How stressful is flying for dogs?
- 12 How do you ship a puppy by air?
- 13 How do dogs go to the bathroom on a plane?
What airlines are currently shipping pets?
- Air Canada.
- Air France KLM Martinair Cargo.
- Alaska Air Cargo.
- American Airlines Cargo.
- Amerijet International, Inc.
- Avianca Cargo.
- Cargolux Airlines International SA.
- Caribbean Airlines.
Which airline is best to ship pets?
Of the major U.S. airlines, only Alaska, American and Hawaiian — our top three best airlines for traveling with pets — will transport pets in checked baggage and/or cargo.
How much do airlines charge to ship pets?
How Much Does Pet Air Travel Cost? Traveling with pets, especially dogs and cats, is becoming increasingly popular and airlines are increasingly accommodating to companion animals. Typical costs: Shipping a pet by airplane typically costs $70-$1,000 each way, depending on the pet’s size and distance traveled.
Can you send a dog on a plane by itself?
Virtually all airlines accept pets in cargo except for Southwest Airlines, JetBlue and the smaller commuter airlines that do not have facilities for them. Hundreds of pets travel alone every day and arrive safely at their destination.
Does FedEx fly dogs?
FedEx Express does not accept live-animal shipments as part of its regular-scheduled service and does not transport household pets such as dogs, cats, birds and hamsters. The shipper must have its packaging tested and pre-approved by FedEx Packaging Design and Development for the type of animal being shipped.
Are airlines still shipping pets?
American Airlines says it will still accept pets through its cargo service, albeit with restrictions. American also accepts animals for travel in the cabin, including those deemed to be for emotional support.
Does Southwest fly dogs as cargo?
Will pets be allowed in cargo? Under no circumstances will we accept pets in the cargo bin. Southwest Airlines only accept cats and dogs in-cabin.
What airlines fly big dogs?
Which Airlines Allow You to Fly with Large Dogs? Most airlines will accommodate your pet in one way or another. Some of the better, more cost-effective airlines include Air Canada, Air France, American, Delta, Emirates, Hawaiian, Lufthansa, Sun Country, Swiss International and WestJet.
How do you ship a pet on a plane?
How to Ship a Dog Safely
- Start planning early to learn about country import rules, vaccine requirements and anything else that will affect your pet’s plans.
- Measure your dog, choose an airline-approved travel crate, and start crate-training right away.
- Book your dog’s flight on a pet friendly airline.
How do you ship a puppy to another state?
Ship your dogs as checked baggage The most direct way of shipping your dog to another state is flying. This tends to be the most expensive animal transportation method, with airline fees ranging from $80 to several hundred dollars. But the main concern isn’t affordability — it’s safety.
How stressful is flying for dogs?
Kirsten Theisen, director of pet care issues for the Humane Society of the United States, believes air travel is simply too stressful for most animals, especially when they are placed in an aircraft’s cargo hold. “Flying is frightening for animals,” says Theisen.
How do you ship a puppy by air?
How to Ship a Puppy in a Plane
- Schedule an appointment for your puppy with your veterinarian no more than 10 days before the flight.
- Purchase an airline-approved crate/carrier for your puppy, one that is made of hard plastic with metal mesh panels at the sides and a metal mesh door at the front of the carrier.
How do dogs go to the bathroom on a plane?
Pee pads in the carrier or in the bathroom are pretty much your only solution for a dog who needs to go while on a flight. You should stop giving them water two hours before the flight to eliminate their need to pee. You should also be sure to use the animal relief station in the airport right before you guys board.